Noun(1) the time interval between the deposit of a check in a bank and its payment(2) the number of shares outstanding and available for trading by the public(3) a drink with ice cream floating in it(4) an elaborate display mounted on a platform carried by a truck (or pulled by a truck(5) a hand tool with a flat face used for smoothing and finishing the surface of plaster or cement or stucco(6) something that floats on the surface of water(7) an air-filled sac near the spinal column in many fishes that helps maintain buoyancy
Verb(1) be in motion due to some air or water current(2) be afloat either on or below a liquid surface and not sink to the bottom(3) set afloat(4) circulate or discuss tentatively; test the waters with(5) move lightly, as if suspended(6) put into the water(7) make the surface of level or smooth(8) allow (currencies(9) convert from a fixed point notation to a floating point notation
(1) Sometimes you'd be lucky enough to have money for an ice cream float or a soda pop.(2) The president will remain under pressure to encourage Beijing to float its currency, currently pegged to the dollar, which experts argue makes imports artificially cheap.(3) Uruguay has allowed its national currency, the peso, to float freely in an effort to make its exports more competitive.(4) The most common type of bilge pump switch uses a pivoted float to sense water level.(5) She is not certain she wants to float the company, but hints at a possible buyout or merger in the future.(6) China has been under pressure from other countries to let its currency float more freely.(7) Eire's punt, once tied to sterling, was allowed to float free.(8) And even if China were to float its currency, it likely would do no better than slow the export of jobs to China.(9) The float of the Portuguese Man of War jellyfish acts as a sail which helps it move or swim in water.(10) The White House says the president will again urge the premier to take steps to float China's currency.(11) Each float was supported by front and rear N-struts attached to the bottom longerons of the fuselage and the front and rear stub-wing spars.(12) The first days after allowing the peso to float freely saw a stable value of the peso against the dollar.(13) He denounced the government's decision to float Venezuela's currency, the bolivar, and to cut next year's budget.(14) I climbed the ladder with my float , trowel and plaster and reached upwards towards the missing section of my ceiling.(15) I recently suggested in China that the yuan should float freely, which would probably lead to a substantial appreciation.(16) Then my float shot under and I was into a fish that was too heavy to be a chub.
(1) to float :: plūduriuoti
(2) float away :: nuplaukti
(3) float up :: plūduriuoti iki
(4) free float :: Laisvų akcijų
(5) float glass :: flotacinio stiklo
(6) float valve :: plūduriuojančio vožtuvo
(7) float down :: plaukti žemyn
(8) cash float :: pinigų plūdė
(9) float around :: plaukti aplink
(10) float off :: nukristi
2. ice-cream soda ::
3. stay afloat ::
4. hover ::
5. drift ::
6. suggest ::
7. swim ::
float, floated, floating, floats
Word Example from TV Shows
The best way to learn proper English is to read news report, and watch news on TV. Watching TV shows is a great way to learn casual English, slang words, understand culture reference and humor. If you have already watched these shows then you may recall the words used in the following dialogs.
No good, Sheldon doesn't FLOAT.
The Big Bang Theory Season 6, Episode 4
So, listen, there was something
I was hoping to FLOAT past you.
The Big Bang Theory Season 7, Episode 24
Do not FLOAT that idea again.
Breaking Bad Season 5, Episode 12
He's huge. It'd be fun to
watch him FLOAT around.
The Big Bang Theory Season 12, Episode 15
you just FLOAT along
like a dead body in a river.
The Big Bang Theory Season 10, Episode 9
English to Lithuanian Dictionary: float
Meaning and definitions of float, translation in Lithuanian
language for float with similar and opposite words. Also find spoken pronunciation of float in Lithuanian and in English language.
Tags for the entry 'float'
What float means in Lithuanian, float meaning
in Lithuanian, float
definition, examples and pronunciation
of float in Lithuanian language.